Monday 19 May 2008

OpenOffice 3.0 Beta testing in Malayalam

Based on http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/announcementbeta.html, SMC decided to test Malayalam in Open Office 3.0 Beta. Anivar Aravind, SMC had sent mail to smc mailing list for volunteers for testing. I was willing to do, hence downloaded the beta version from http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/ on my F9 machine.

Opened swriter, and using inscript entered malayalam text. The font was Lohit-Malayalam. It was strange that the cursor kept moving forward according to the key press, but nothing appeared on the screen, maye I can call it the "invisible text". Had reported this to the mailing list and I was asked to do the testing using some other options. Accordingly I did the following.

1.Installed smc-fonts package and tried input using different fonts, but result was the same - "invisible text".

2.Logged in en-US locale and entered Malayalam text, but again - invisible text".

3.Copied and pasted some malayalam text in oowriter, but again - "invisible text". This invisible text when copied and pasted in gedit, it was very much visible :)

I do not know whether I have missed out anything. Should I file a bug? I think I should confirm its a bug, before taking any other step.

No comments: